What can we do in Athens if we have a day or two before our trip?
There are plenty if fantastic museums to visit, however in order to get a real understanding of Athens we recommend walking the streets of the city and visiting some of these sites:
- Spend an afternoon visiting the famous world heritage site: the Acropolis of Athens and the new museum.
- Walk in the areas of Plaka (with the narrow alleys under the hill of Acropolis). There are lots of restaurants and bars in this area.
- Go to Monastiraki square and visit the flea market (Ifestou 2, Athina 105 55, Greece)
- Drink a Greek coffee or freddo espresso in the square of St. Eirini (near Monastiraki)
- Take Ermou street all the way to Syntagma square and watch the changing of the guard in the parliament (change every hour on the hour).
- If you have time search if there is performance in the ancient Odeon of Herodes Atticus.
- If you’re looking for a drink, Athens is well known for the night life. Here are some great options:
*All these areas are safe for walking at night.